Oktoberfest is the largest beer festival in the world. Originally called Oktoberfest to represent a festival in October, the festival was moved to late September for the better weather. This event is surprisingly family friendly as it has plenty of rides and attractions to suit children.
During the day the atmosphere is more for sit down and eat. Whereas at night it is more standing up, dancing and partying. Hofbräu tent is one to check out for the party atmosphere. A litre of beer will cost less than 11 Euros. Find a table to place your stein (large glass) on, as those things are heavy.
You don't need a ticket to enter the showgrounds that hosts the beer tents. However you will need to queue outside a beer tent, if it is at capacity.
Once you have decided you want to attend, you should book your accommodation well in advance. Due to the popularity of this event, the price of accommodation in Munich can quadruple in price during the dates of Oktoberfest. Ideally you would want to stay within walking distance of Oktoberfest.
The grounds are located in Theresienwiese. This is a walkable 2 kilometres west of Munich's city centre. Follow the people that are dressed in traditional Oktoberfest clothes. It is most likely everyone is making their way to the Oktoberfest grounds. If you are catching the train, get off at Theresienwiese which sits on the U4 and U5 line.
Closest International Airport: Flughafen München; Munich Airport (MUC), Munich
Senor Ben's Tips
1) Do some research about which of the 13 beer tents you want to visit!
2) Learn the German word for cheers: Prost. Pronounce it as Proast as in toast but with the pr in front.
3) Although not compulsory, purchasing and wearing the traditional Bavarian costumes of lederhosen (man) and drindl (woman) to the event will make it more fun and cultural. These costumes can be purchased at clothing department stores and from street vendors in Munich.
4) Keep a business card of where you are staying to potentially show taxi drivers...hahhah.
5) Check out our short article of interesting things about Oktoberfest.