Get your masquerade masks and frilly costumes for Venice Carnival! The first Carnival in Venice was held in 1162. The event was founded to be a fun and merry occasion for adults. Wearing a mask allowed people to hide their identities, and therefore concealing societal class and preconceived prejudices. Most of Venice Carnival's activities take place at Piazza San Marco which is also known as St Mark’s Square in English.
2 Venice Carnival Events You Don't Want To Miss
Carnival events last for two weeks. It is worth checking out what captures your interest the most and planning your trip around it.
Flight of the Angel: This event traces its roots back to the 16th century. Flight of the Angel is where a lady zips down a zip wire in Piazza San Marco.
The only time you need a ticket is if you want to attend a ball.
To save money consider staying in Mestre. Location wise it is not ideal, as it is further away. Get yourself a day travel card. This allows you to use all the public transport in Venice.
Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia is the stop to get off for Venice if you are coming by train. Venezia-Mestre which is the stop before Santa Lucia is located on the mainland, so do not get off there. Venice is a small city, so it is possible to walk to Piazza San Marco from your hotel. If you are feeling tired you can use the vaporetto which is public transportation via a boat.
Closest International Airport: Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE), Venice
1) To get the best experience you need to wear a mask and costume. Pack a mask and costume in your luggage. Another option is to rent an outfit when you arrive in Venice.
2) Venice itself is a very popular with tourists. When you combine this with Carnival, it means the crowds are even more insane. Make restaurant bookings in advance to put yourself in a advantageous position.
3) Walk around the city and you will be able to find people dressed in costume.
4) Remember your manners and ask politely if you want a photo.
5) Sample traditional foods that are only made during Carnival. Frittelle (fritole) is a sweet doughnut.